Our Onsite Parent Training program is a two-week intensive course for families impacted by autism that can help your child and your family immediately. This program merges group instruction with guided observation, one-on-one sessions with the client, and coaching of the parent or other caregiver. Parent Training is not just about teaching skills to the child, but teaching the parent how to best understand the child and the nature of autism. This program currently is offered at NO COST to families (except for a $50 deposit that is returned at the end of the program) because it is financially supported by our generous donors.
Through concentrated therapeutic techniques based on ABA (applied behavior analysis), the experts at Easterseals Midwest will help you learn:
- How to manage your child's most challenging behaviors
- How to tailor daily therapeutic activities so your child can reach goals that you set together
- How to communicate in a real way with your child every day
- How to manage the stress that autism puts on your family
What Can I Expect?
First, you can expect to set and reach goals you never dreamed possible! Our two-week, personalized course requires both parent and child to attend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week ... and it's a lot of hard work! But it's worth it. Daily, you'll participate in a variety of activities:
- You'll attend classes and seminars about autism and its many facets
- You'll address many of your child's behavioral challenges
- You'll watch and then lead therapeutic, hands-on sessions with your child
- You'll work with professionals to evaluate and improve your performance
- You'll take before and after measurements of your child's improvement
- You'll watch your child grow and change in significant and exciting ways!
In-Home Parent Education and Training
Easterseals Midwest offers in-home family support for any person with autism regardless of age. Our staff can provide issue-specific behavior training, during which parents participate in various training workshops and therapy sessions. When the child is present, staff conducts therapy sessions with the individual with autism, and the family observes to learn how to resolve problem behaviors and how to use appropriate techniques in various situations. Using the techniques learned in this type of training, the family gradually begins to conduct sessions with their child, while being coached by Easterseals Midwest staff. The parents' active involvement in training is critical to the success and effectiveness of the program. Additionally, the training specialist will work with the family to address concerns, advocacy, planning and referral.
TouchPoints of Autism: An Introductory Workshop
This workshop is available to immediate family, extended family and friends who serve as natural supports for individuals with autism. A basic overview of autism, as well as additional workshops regarding strategies to help support an individual with autism, are included. It is typically offered once a month, January through November.
For more details about In-Home or Onsite Parent Training, please contact us at 314-432-6200, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.